Treat Your Body Right.
3 times a day for 365 days equals 1,095 meals a year.
Eating healthful food to support and fuel your body isn’t always easy. Big City Hippies are here to help make feeding yourself a little bit easier, with inspiring, nourishing recipes that are quick, easy, and generally fool-proof.
- Miso Squash Soup (9/15/2017) – August turned to September, and boom! Just like that, there was a big ol’ squash in our weekly box of CSA veggies from Inner City Farms. Normally when I buy a squash, it ends up sitting on my counter for months till I finally remember to use it. They are excellent, edible fall decor, so […]
- Mango Ginger Salmonberry Smoothie (8/16/2017) – Power Up your smoothie with wild berries! Foraged Salmonberries were a great addition to this mango ginger smoothie! Ingredients mango (we used organic, frozen) salmonberries (foraged – not available in stores) banana (one medium-ish sized) kale (a few leaves) tahini (a tablespoon-ish) ginger (a small knob) yogurt (plain, grass-fed, a few tablespoons water (a splash […]
- Golden Milk is Sunshine in a Cup (4/7/2017) – Making my own sunshine with a hot cup of Golden Milk! I love adding ginger, allspice, cinnamon and maple syrup or honey to my sunny turmeric powerhouse beverage. I also love steaming my grass fed milk so it’s all frothy and fun! Golden Milk is an Ayurvedic healing drink made with lots of turmeric, black […]
- Quark on Toast (4/7/2017) – Grass-fed Quark, pesto, red cabbage sauerkraut, pepper & turmeric atop sourdough kamut rye toast = savoury anytime yum! I had it for breakfast. A poached or fried egg would be a delicious addition!
- Healthful Oatmeal Latte (10/17/2016) – We are lucky ducks who got an espresso maker as a gift, and I use it ALL the time. Well, I’m pretty good about moderation, so really I use it about 2-3 x per week on myself. I love making different flavoured, healthy oatmeal, and I love lattes, so I thought “why not latte flavoured […]
- Easy-Over Egg with Nettles (3/11/2016) – An easy over egg atop sautéed nettles with pesto, cheddar & spices on a multi-grain bagel. I think I could eat this organic vegetarian recipe daily! Stinging nettles (Urtica dioica) are an amazing powerhouse of nutrients. When raw, the tiny needles covering the nettles sting you with chemicals, but when cooked (or soaked), their stinging chemicals are released, making them safe to eat & handle! Nettles taste like a […]
- Savoury Almond, Rosemary & Thyme Loaf (3/13/2015) – Looking for a delicious, nutritous, gluten-free loaf of bread? This Savoury Almond, Rosemary & Thyme Loaf is all that and more! This isn’t about a “gluten-free” trendy bread, it’s just a honest to goodness recipe that is different from our daily routines. If you love nervy, chewy & nutty, why not give this recipe a […]
- Matcha Green Tea Hot Chocolate (1/26/2015) – Looking for a new way to enjoy Matcha? Try mixing it with organic dark cacao! To make it pop, and ease up on the bitterness, we added some cinnamon and maple syrup. This warm drink will feel like a treat, but it is a truly healthy hot beverage. Antioxidants abound, and you can use any […]
- Healthy Feed-You-All-Week Oatmeal Casserole (12/4/2014) – Big City Hippies LOVE one-pot meals! They are usually fool-proof, require much less “focus” during cooking, and make nowhere near as many dishes as multi-dish recipes. If you use a wide variety of produce, whole grains, nuts, seeds, spices and so on, you will end up with a delicious and nutritious meal! This Oatmeal Casserole […]
- DIY Nut Butter Blends (10/3/2014) – We noticed an explosive amount of growth in the peanut/almond/nut butter section of local grocery stores, and were seeing new, exciting combinations of spreads! Concoctions such as coconut, banana, chocolate chip, apple pie, chia seed, hemp seed, half peanut – half almond and so many more interesting ideas! Naturally, after examining many labels and deeming […]
- Simple & Healthy Pumpkin Pie Banana Bread (9/22/2014) – We were heading to Lillooet for the weekend, and needed to bring a contribution for a potluck we were attending. We needed something that was easily portable, did not require refrigeration, was delicious, but still healthy! I thought Banana Bread would be a good option. We had recently made Pumpkin French Toast, and still had […]
- The Easiest & Cheapest way to make Organic Vegetable Stock (8/4/2014) – Keeping up with ingredient labels, GMOs, rising prices, health information, grocery shopping and meal planning is a lot of work. A lot. Taking the time to create something from nothing in the kitchen 3 times a day, everyday, is exhausting. We are fortunate there are healthy products to assist us when we are in need […]
- Healthy Chocolate Spelt Zucchini Cake (8/1/2014) – After visiting family friends who own and run Sapo Bravo Farm (Organic Fruits & Veggies) in Lytton, BC, I came home with A LOT of Zucchini. I decided to finally make a zucchini loaf/cake! It was delicious, simple and healthy! Here is the great recipe! I tweaked the recipe I found from […]
- Chocolate Chia Seed Pudding (7/12/2014) – Humans by nature have a sweet tooth. Sweet meant “safe to eat” when we were hunter/gatherers. However, when we were more caveman-like, we did not have the kind of sweetness and variety of man-made sweeteners (mostly toxic) that we have in the 21st century. We are usually consuming the sweetest variety of fruits & vegetables, […]
- Healthy Jam Fake-Out (7/10/2014) – Some mornings all you want is peanut butter and jam on toast. But what to do if you’ve run out of jam? Or if you are trying to eat cleaner? Top your sprouted toast & organic peanut butter with fresh organic strawberries and banana! Add some cinnamon, coconut, hemp & chia seeds! You get the […]
- Ohm-Mazing Breakfast Bowl 2.0 (7/10/2014) – Breakfast Bowl Goodness! This simple breakfast grain bowl is a breeze to make. Cook your wheat berries the night before (soak them too) and they are all set for breakfast in the morning! Cook extra so you can have this breakfast 2 days in a row! Or for lunch! Or for dinner! This Ohm-Mazing Breakfast […]
- Yam-Slam Mash Up 3.0 (5/27/2014) – A THIRD variation of the Yam-Slam Mash Up! Yam is such a great base, we can’t seem to get enough! This 3rd Mash Up (Yam-Slam & Yam-Slam 2.0) is sort of a combination of our yam recipes and the Ohm-Mazing Breakfast Bowl. It has a similar breakfast-y theme, but can still be eaten any time […]
- Yam-Slam Mash Up 2.0 (5/26/2014) – This is such an easy meal, and there are so many variations! Here is another way to enjoy that freshly baked yam! Yam-Slam 2.0! Click for the original Yam-Slam Yam-Slam Mash Up 2.0: > baked yam > cherry tomatoes > red onion > peanuts & slivered almonds, hemp & chia seeds > green onions, fresh […]
- Sardine Savvy Bowl (5/24/2014) – Looking for another super quick, easy and healthy meal? Have sardines kicking around in your cupboards? We present… The Sardine Savvy Bowl! The Sardine Savvy Bowl: > sardines (ours are mustard coated) > sprouts, red pepper, red onion, cucumber > seeds (pumpkin and black sesame) > tumeric, salt and pepper, & olive oil makes for […]
- Yam-Slam Mash Up (5/22/2014) – Think you have nothing to eat in your fridge and pantry? Have a bunch of random items kicking around? That’s how I was feeling. We already had some cooked yams in the fridge, and I was feeling lazy, hungry and uninspired. Then inspiration hit! Yam-Slam Mash Up: > baked yam > avocado > cilantro & […]
- Use-It-All Lettuce Wrap (5/22/2014) – Have a ton of produce waiting to be devoured, but stumped on how to use it all up? Enter lettuce wraps! > Use whatever you have! > Throw in whatever veggies and spices/seeds you have! This wrap features: quinoa, black beans, cucumber, peppers, celery, tomato, avocado, tumeric, chia, hemp, seeds, salt and pepper, other spices. […]
- Ohm-Mazing Breakfast Bowl (5/21/2014) – Use up that leftover quinoa in the fridge to make an ohm – worthy, wholesome breakfast (or a whenever meal!) Ohm-Mazing Breakfast Bowl: > cold, cooked quinoa > organic plain yogurt (flavoured yogurts are full of sugar, and non-organic milk means cows may have been fed GMOs… Beware! If you are in the USA, milk […]
- Healthy Chocolate Cinnamon Popcorn in Under 10 (5/17/2014) – Who doesn’t love popcorn? It’s crunchy and light, and makes you feel like snuggling up with a good movie (or a few tv shows in a row) It’s a low calorie snack, and provided you don’t gorge yourself and eat small portions, is actually pretty healthy. Health benefits of Organic, Non-GMO Popcorn: > Fiber > […]
- Wham, Bam, Chia Seed Jam (4/22/2014) – Spring is officially upon Vancouverites! Spring means I feel like actually waking up, as little birds sing songs outside of our window inEast Vancouver, and making breakfast for myself and my fiancé, John. While we usually try and have a hearty breakfast (especially because John is a 6.7″ giant), sometimes we just feel like peanut butter […]
- Daily Dose: Lemon Water (4/22/2014) – Have you seen all those posts about how good lemon water is for you? Well, we have a tip for you on how to easily enjoy lemon water all the time! Buying a bag of organic lemons, rather then individually, means better value for you money, but can mean a lot of lemons to use before […]